Class Action Lawsuits On Behalf Of Groups Whose Civil Rights Have Been Violated
At Ives & Flores, P.A.., we bring class action lawsuits against governments and government agencies to allow multiple victims of wrongdoing to pursue relief together.
Class-action lawsuits allow a group of people with similar legal claims to join together and file a lawsuit. These types of lawsuits are often used when there are a large number of people who have been harmed by the same local, state, or federal government or government agency, as it can be more efficient and cost-effective to bring a single lawsuit on behalf of the group rather than filing individual lawsuits for each person.
Class-action lawsuits can be brought for a wide range of legal claims, including civil rights violations. Civil rights violations refer to actions that infringe upon an individual’s rights as protected by federal or state law. Examples of civil rights violations include discrimination on the basis of race, gender, sexual orientation, religion, or national origin, as well as violations of an individual’s rights to free speech, freedom of religion, and due process.
At Ives & Flores, we specialize in class actions involving violations of people’s civil rights. By bringing a class action on behalf of a large group of people, we can help ensure that widespread practices of wrongdoing are stopped.
Some examples of class action lawsuits that our attorneys have been involved in to help put an end to government misconduct include lawsuits challenging:
- The United States military’s “Don’t Ask, Don’t Tell” policy discriminating against the LGBTQ community.
- Inhumane conditions of confinement at the Bernalillo County Metropolitan Detention Center.
- Due Process violations in the City of Albuquerque’s vehicle forfeiture program.
- The State of New Mexico’s Department of Workforce Solutions statutory and due process violations in its payment of federal unemployment benefits during the Covid-19 pandemic.
- The City of Albuquerque’s cruel and unconstitutional practices of criminalizing the presence of unhoused people on public property when they have no alternative shelter and seizing their belongings without due process.
If you believe you have a potential class-action lawsuit, it is important to seek the guidance of an experienced attorney. The rules regarding class action litigation are complex. Our attorneys can help you understand your legal options and determine the best course of action for your situation. We can help you navigate the process and ensure that your rights are protected.
If you have been the victim of civil rights violations and believe you may have grounds for a class-action lawsuit, we encourage you to contact us for a consultation. Our attorneys will review your case and provide you with an honest assessment of your legal options. We are dedicated to fighting for the rights of our clients and ensuring that they receive the justice and compensation they deserve.